A circular bezel to mount around a shower fitting
A Christmas decoration in the shape of a tree with flashing and multicoloured LEDs driven from an Adafruit Trinket board.
An upgraded mandrel for cut off disks used in a mini drill
A kit dolls house that was painted and fitted with some stronger parts.
An electronics project to build a device that detects dragons and alerts the knights to spring into action.
The project was entered in the Qualcomm Maker Month Contest 2016 and was featured on their Developer of the Month
The detector is activated by a passive infrared detector which activates the webcam to take a picture. The webcam image is passed to a computer vision library called OpenCV which determines if a Dragon has been detected. The defences in the form of lights and motion are activated and the operator is notified using the IFTTT maker API. The brain of the device is the DragonBoard410C running a Linux operating system, the control code is written in Python with libraries for the GPIO access.
Code for the project is on GitHub
Details of the electronics can be found at Element14
The mechanical aspects and enhancements are detailed here.
The Enchanted Cottage was built for the Element14 Enchanted Objects Design Challenge. A weather house was stripped down and fitted microcontroller, WiFi, 3D printed mechanism, fibre optics and an RGB LED.
Low profile clamps to hold work onto a faceplate
A metal sculpture in brass, mounted on an 1800s French Coin
Making and using a flowerpot furnace for melting aluminium
A metal pin to support the catch on a metal gate. The old pin had rusted away and needed replacing.
A small hearth for treating metal and other hot project
A magnifier lamp to help with SMD work, made with scrap materials and 3D printed parts.
I've tried to use as much as possible from my "scrap box". The aluminium components are things I cast from old hard disks back in 2008.
The base was found dumped outside a furniture shop by Euston, I squared it up with a saw and surform before drilling, sanding and varnishing.
The arms were from an old garden parasol that had got worn out by the weather. I believe they are teak. They were planed and sanded to size before drilling. These will likely be left in a natural finish.
The 3D parts are designed using OpenSCAD and printed with a Cel Robox printer.
A wood and lino stamp for printing a logo
A hexagonal tool to be used with a socket wrench to open a radiator plug within a restricted space
A medal formed in brass sheet using repoussé and chasing
A leather sandbag for forming metal
A large diameter washer for a mainsheet horse on a sailing boat
T shaped nuts for securing parts to a slotted table. These were milled on the lathe and are used on the drill table.
A mantel clock with the numbers in Topsy Turvy locations. This project is a mixture of mechanics, electronics and embedded firmware. It won a prize in the Maplin Arduino competition.
Turned aluminium to replace plastic feet on a valve amplifier
Although the Dragon Detector project video has been submitted, I wanted incorporate some of my original ideas which got cut due to time constraints. Rob Ives’ Knight model is excellent but I’d always intended to build an moving 3D model
The last part of the Dragon Detector project was to put it all together and box it up. I had planned to make a 3D printed figure with a servo operated arm, however I knew that would take time so
As previously mentioned the Dragonboard project is mostly getting documented over at Element14 as it’s about electronic and coding. The source code can be found on github. So far I’ve got the GPIO (general purpose inputs and outputs) working, lighting
For the Dragon Detector project I’ve been looking at my pre-requisites for making the project work. Internet connectivity Webcam Python OpenCV GPIO I’ve managed to get all of these installed and working. As the articles are quite technical and software
« Previous Page
Gnomes Last weekend was the Gnome Street Gnome workshop. The setup of the Pi took some time but we eventually got going and had some success with the sensors and audio output controlled by Node-Red. There was some great feedback
— Next Page »